Financial Aid
  • Do you offer financial aid?

No. None of the state university English programs offer financial aid. All financial aid for English courses are given to the community colleges. 

  • Why is that?

There are two reasons: 1) The English courses are noncredit and 2) English courses are considered “remedial”; therefore, universities do not receive money from the government to offer them; community colleges do.

  • What courses offer I-20s to obtain student visas?

The Intensive English Program All other courses do not offer sufficient hours to meet SEVIS requirements.

  • What do I need to do to get an I-20 to get a student visa?
  1. Pay a nonrefundable $150 Application Fee (Note: Tuition is due upon arrival.)
  2. Pay $65 for express mailing of your documents.
  3. Complete the registration form online.
  4. Upload a certified bank letter indicating a balance of $13,000 in U.S. dollars. (It is a requirement for International students and must be in English)
  5. Upload a sponsorship letter if not self-funded.
  6. Upload a copy of your passport information page.
  7. Upload a passport sized picture.

For more specific information about visas and change of status, please contact our Registration Office.

  • Do you accept partial payments?

No. All payments must be made in full at registration time. However, you may pay by credit card.  

  • Why so expensive?

You are paying for:

  • Quality, not quantity
  • Small number of students in class
  • Excellent, first-class facilities at a world-class university
  • Very qualified instructors with Master’s Degree in ESOL and/or Linguistics
  • Program membership in AAIEP, UCIEP, and FIEC
  • University is accredited by SACS
  • Are you part of the University?

Yes. The ELI is a unit within the Office of the Faculty & Global Affairs in the Provost Office.

  • What program should I take?

It all depends on your needs. We have a wide range of programs to choose from.  

  • Do these programs prepare me for the TOEFL?

If you finish level 5 or 6 in our IEP,  you are prepared to take the TOEFL. However, be aware that no course or program can guarantee that you will pass the test. This is all up to you.

ELI students who are seeking undergraduate admission to FIU are not required to take the TOEFL® test if they complete all ELI’s Intensive English Program level six courses with a passing grade.

  • What is the TOEFL®?

The TOEFL® (the Test of English as a Foreign Language) is the test that all foreign students must take before entering the university.

  • What is the difference between the Institutional TOEFL® and the Internet-based TOEFL®?
  Institutional TOEFL® Internet-based TOEFL®
Type Paper and pencil Computer
Parts Listening, Grammar, Reading/vocabulary Listening, Grammar, Reading/Vocabulary. and Writing
Validity Valid only for the institution you take it in, although there are exceptions. Good for all universities and institutions
Length of Validity 2 years 2 years
Prices $119 $ 195 (Florida,USA)
  • What score does FIU require?

Currently, FIU is asking for the following:
-Institutional TOEFL®: Undergraduate: 550 Graduate: 550
-Internet-based TOEFL® Undergraduate: 80 Graduate: 80

  • Where do I register for the institutional or computer-based test?

For the Institutional TOEFL®, visit our registration website by clicking on the following link:

For the Internet-based test: Call 1-800-GO-TOEFL or go to

For more information for international students visit: