The aim of this program is to provide conversational English instruction while promoting international and intercultural understanding through class activities and discussions in a friendly and relaxed setting.
This program is perfect for individuals who want to combine a visit to Miami with English study that is recreational or avocational. It is also convenient for those who would like to practice, refresh, or perfect their English skills, but do not have time for a semester-long program at a university.
Due to its length and scope, this program does not require an I-20 for an F1 student visa, making it accessible to visitors, business people, or prospective students.
The four-week Language & Culture Program is offered 4 times a year (see schedule). Classes focus on improving listening and speaking skills while concentrating on American culture topics.
Lenght: 4 weeks
Total hours: 48
The Language & Culture program curriculum is designed to facilitate students’ progress in the spoken language in a short period of time while learning about American culture.
Some of the program classroom activities include the following:
- Practicing conversational English
- Listening and discussing about topics of interest in American & other cultures.
- Learning & practicing essential vocabulary
- Making oral presentations
Levels of instruction
The Language & Culture Program offers 4 levels of instruction: elementary*, low intermediate, high intermediate, and advanced. All students will be tested and placed according to their level prior to the start of classes. For more information on the outcomes per level of instruction, click here.
Prospective students whose English skills are advanced may choose the TOEFL® preparation course, which offers classes in all the skills covered in the test. The TOEFL® class meets 9 – 12, Monday through Thursday (See Schedule).
Course: Language & Culture Class
Length: Four Weeks
Course: TOEFL® Preparation
Length: Four Weeks
Summer 2018: July 23, 2018 through August 17, 2018
Fall 2018: October 15, 2018 through November 9, 2018
Winter 2019: January 21, 2019 through February 25, 2019
Spring 2019: April 22, 2019 through May 17, 2019
- The only fee that students in the Language & Culture program are responsible for is the $150.00 Registration Fee.
- This program is open to citizens and U.S. permanent residents, B1/B2 tourists and other visitors who are allowed to study.
- This program is not available to F1 international students. Those individuals interested in studying English for academic purposes in a longer program should apply for the Intensive English Program in order to obtain an I-20 form and apply for an F1 student visa at an American consulate.
*Students must have a basic knowledge of English. This program does not offer classes for true beginners.
Copyright © 2018 by Educational Testing Service. All rights reserved.
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE, ETS, the ETS logo, TOEFL, and the TOEFL logo, are registered trademarks of Educational Testing Service.